Thursday 12 January 2012

Quilling

I am a lover of Pinterest - the site where you can get inspiration for anything. I recently stumbled on this cool blog The Sweet Spot who gives a tutorial on my latest crafty escapade.

Quilling.
The art of rolling strips of paper into shapes and turning it into a masterpiece (well that is my definition). It has been around for years and is mostly used for card making or scrapbooking. But I like it as a work of art in itself.
My strips of paper, my swirly collection and my skewer


I went out and bought some coloured paper and started cutting it into strips. I dug out a kebab skewer to use as my 'roller' and used tape to join ends together. I started doing the shapes in the tutorial but got bored and decided to make my own work of art.


I started with the two large swirls that make the heart shape - there are 3 strips of paper in each one to give a bit of interest -  then made heaps of teardrops in different colours. To glue them onto the canvas I used PVA glue which I brushed on with a paintbrush.
The side view. Ignore the tape strips, next time I will glue them

The next thing I attempted was slightly more abstract. A bird. Based on a swallow painting I did a while ago I followed the basic structure with swirls and teardrops. I started with just red strips and added the yellow afterward.
Haha later on at night I added the yellow, thats why the lighting changed


The canvases I have are quite small so the next quilling project I do I want to be on a bigger canvas and I want to use blues, greens and purples.

This is a project that takes a lot more time than you think. It is definitely something to chip away at but I love the end result so the time is worth it.

One day I will do a revealio of my next quilling project but don't expect it to be for a while, other things have grabbed my crafty attention.

Oh and by the way I have added a subscription link at the top right of this page that will allow you to get my blog posts by email if you so desire. Or you can link with an RSS feed if that is what you are into :)


2 comments:

  1. This is by far my new favourite blog. Better than brooke frasers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke Fraser has a blog?! Where?
    Anyway, I totally love this! I was thinking, another way to get the glue on could be to squeeze out a big blob onto a piece of paper and then dip the bottom of the quilled shape in it before sticking it to the canvas? Or would you end up with too much glue? Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

Non Googlers can post under Anonymous but leave your name so I know who you are!