Sunday 8 July 2012

Tutorial: Birds on a Wire Cushion


The other night I was struck by some inspiration and created this wee masterpiece.

I had a few pieces of fabric left from when I re-upholstered this bedroom chair and one length of it was perfect cushion size.

I also had some bright scraps left from when I made this scarf.

I have been seeing a lot of birds in artwork lately and I love pretty birds.

To make this cushion you will need:
  • Enough heavy fabric for the cushion base. Depending on the size you want your finished cushion. I used approx 1m x 50cm
  • Contrasting scrappy bits of fabric
  • Sewing machine and black thread
  • Pins
  • Needle and thread to match scrappy bits of fabric
  • A4 paper
  • Cushion stuffing material
 Method
  • First I drew and cut out some bird silhouettes from a4 paper to use as templates.


  • Next I pinned these to various scrappy bits of bright fabric and cut out 2 of each bird on different patterns. 


  • I grabbed my length of upholstery fabric, folded it in half to mark the front of the cushion, then sewed two 'wires' on different angles across the fabric. I created a bit of texture by reversing the stitch every so often as I went along.


  • I played around with the placement of the birds until I was happy.

NB- Remember to allow for seam allowance around the edges when placing your birds.



  • Next, hand stitch or, if you are good with sewing tiny things, machine stitch each bird onto the wire.

  • Then fold your cushion with right sides together and sew around the edges, leaving a 10cm gap so it can be turned right way out.

  • Turn the cushion right way out, then stuff with poly-fill or other stuffing material.

  • Slip-stitch the gap closed and you are done!



This would look really cool in opposite colours too, a black cushion with a white wire and red birds, or any combo really!

Happy making!

8 comments:

  1. YAYS! I am making a cushion this week tooo :) Love yours. So creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh exciting, I forgot how easy it was to make a cushion! Can't wait to see yours!

      Delete
  2. was thinking of how cold it is down there- shouldn't your birds be blue :) Anyway - this is a really cool idea Amy. Mrs Stock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha why yes it is cold, I like the bright colours becuase it reminds me that spring is on its way!

      Delete
  3. looks gorgeous - love the look

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! My friend has made her girls a blind (you know, a curtain-type blind-y thingy?) out of some fabric that looks exactly like this - birds on a wire! I love birdies too, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such cool fabric, I got 2.25m on the clearance table at spotlight!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you!

Non Googlers can post under Anonymous but leave your name so I know who you are!