Tuesday 1 September 2015

Triangle Cot Quilt


The other day, 6 rubbish sacks of fabric were dropped off at my doorstep to rummage through. A kind soul had done a big clear out and you know how the saying goes - one woman's trash is another woman's treasure!

I managed to withhold myself and only ended up with half a rubbish bag full with the rest passed on to another fortunate crafter. Among my takings were some beautiful vintage sheets. I picked out two blue/teal ones and added a pink striped sheet and a white cotton sheet from my current stash.

I have had this style of quilt in my mind for a while now, but never had the right fabrics to pull it off. With Addison's room coming along nicely, I thought a change of bedding in the theme colours of the room (teal, pink and gold) would work well.

I managed to make a equilateral(ish) triangle template and cut out all my triangles. Then randomly placed them which is harder than it looks. I then sewed together each line and then sewed those together until it was a giant cot sized rectangle. I trimmed the edges, made a quilt-back/batting/quilt-top sandwich and pinned them together using ALL the safety pins. Then sewed along all my seams and trimmed all edges. Next was the tiny white binding which I sewed onto the front piece by machine then hand-stitched the back. Aaaaaaand done. Phew.

I then realised it wasn't quite wide enough to get a decent enough tuck along the sides of the cot. My girl is a wiggler! So I flipped it on its side and used it that way. It works for now!

I also made a cot skirt/valance for the base of the cot in the houndstooth patterned fabric to match. It's so I can hide her porta-cot and other stuff underneath!

I'm pretty stoked with the outcome of this quilt, it is just how I pictured it in my head. I also have a whole lot more fabric to make quilts out of so once inspiration hit again, I'll be ready!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Non Googlers can post under Anonymous but leave your name so I know who you are!